ajdovščina
      how to reach us
      more about ajdovščina
      climate
      economy
      villages nearby

dediščina
      history
      natural heritage
      religious heritage
      archaeological heritage
      cultural heritage
      memories
      important personalities
      stories and legends
      customs

doživetja
      walking trips
      sightseeing
      sports activities
      wandering

okusno
      restaurants
      tourist farms
      traditional country feast
      wine cellars
      traditional dishes

gostoljubno
      accomodation
      mountain huts

koristno
      tourist information
      tourist brochures
      local guiding
      other useful information
domače
      wine
      fruit
      home made
      craftsmen
      souvenirs



utrinki
utrinki
društva
utrinki
Turist Information Centre Ajdovščina
Cesta IV. Prekomorske 61 A
5270 Ajdovščina

tel.: +386 5 36 59 140
e-pošta

Schedule:
Oct-Apr:
mon - fri: 8.00 - 16.00
sat: 8.00 - 12.00

May-Sept:
mon - fri: 10.00 - 18.00
sat: 8.00 - 12.00



villages nearby

Črniče

The Local Community of Črniče is located in the most western part of the Municipality of Ajdovščina, on the border to the Municipality of Nova Gorica. The Local Community of Črniče comprises two villages, namely the village of Črniče with 405 inhabitants and the village of Ravne with 131 inhabitants.
The area of the Local Community measures 17.9 square kilometres, which makes one of the largest communities in the municipality. It stretches from the artificial reservoir Vogršček, along the highway Razdrto – Vrtojba, to the core of the Vipava Valley and deep into the Trnovo Forest.
Ravne is a scattered village, consisting of four nucleated hamlets, namely Ušaji, Ipavci, Slejki and Tabor.

A stone with the date 1413 chiselled in used to stand at the entrance to the hamlet of Tabor, but unfortunately the stone is now missing for already couple of years. The hamlet lies on a small plateau under the Mt. Čaven (1190 metres above sea level) and the Mt. Veliki Rob (1237 metres above sea level) and north of the main road Nova Gorica – Ajdovščina, only two kilometres above the village of Črniče. The flysch plateau was dissected by two streams, namely Ravenšček and Vogršček, both filling up two artificial reservoirs Vogršček and Podstrel. In the hamlet of Ipavci stands an old Church of Sts. John and Paul, built in 1784, with a magnificent wooden altar.  

Črniče and Ravne actually lie on a landslide, which broke off from the Mt. Čaven in the remote geological past and covered the flysch bottom of the Vipava Valley or better the sediments of the Tertiary Sea. According to the analyses made on the remains of pine trees, which were found in clay ground, while building a highway, the landslide supposedly broke off 40,000 years ago.

Due to its geographical position, Črniče represents an important centre of the valley as already in Roman times the ancient Roman Road ran nearby the village. The name of the village comes from the Slovene word “črn” meaning black, and many Slovene place names are derivatives of this very word. The word črn – black most probably refers to the vast holm oak forests, in Slovene known as “črnika”, which used to thrive on the slopes of the Mt. Čaven and the Mt. Kucelj.

Along the civil cemetery is also the military cemetery from the First World War, which was repaired at the beginning of the 80s and restored in 2004. The military cemetery is now an important cultural monument.
Črniče had as early as in the middle of the 19th century its own postal station and station to change horses. From 1912 on, a postal connection using a bus was established there. In 1867, a Reading Club was founded in the village and in 1898 the Savings and Loan Bank was established.
Since 1989, the Črni Bori Cultural Association operates in the village. Moreover, also the Vipava Wine Road runs through Črniče.

Cultural Sites
-Tabor: The small hamlet and the former people’s fortification Tabor lies on an isolated hill above the village of Črniče. Tabor was presumably the first settlement around here and is thus the predecessor of the villages of Ravne and Črniče. Tabor is stationed in a significant strategic location, which used to supervise the ancient roads between the villages of Črniče, Batuje and Selo. Already the Romans took advantage of the hill as they used it as an observation and signalling place. Thanks to its geographical position in the core of the Vipava Valley the hill was of a strategic importance in times past as the Vipava Valley presented the crossing from the Po Valley to the east. Its position enabled the supervision and control over the eastern and the western part of the Vipava Valley as well as a very effective self-defence from the enemy attacks. The Tabor fortification and the surrounding walls were built in 1413 for self-defence against the Turkish invasions. The fortification played an important role also during the battles between the Venetian Republic and the Habsburgs as well as during both World Wars.

-A similar fortification used to stand also in Slemica, where you can still see the walls and the defence moat.

-Črniče: The first parish around here was located nowhere else but in Črniče. In times past, two churches stood in the village, namely the Church of St. Mark in the hamlet of Brith with a cemetery nearby and the Church of St. Vitus on the Sv. Vit Hill. The church was built in 1758, where the present cemetery is situated. In time, only the latter church was in use and the first mentioned was abandoned. After the Church of St. Vitus was relocated to the centre of the village, the village formed a new centre.

-The Church of St. John and Paul with its magnificent wooden altar.

-The Huh’s Mill – a farm with a mill lying along the road Črniče – Batuje.

-The Archive of the Črniče Parish – an extensive and well preserved archive keeps among other things also records written in the Glagolitic alphabet, dating back in 1583.

-On a hill south of the village are the civil and the military cemetery from the First World War. The latter is proclaimed a historical monument.

-Architectural features of old farm houses, such as stone details, fireplaces, balconies known as “ganki” and arches.

Natural Sites
-An educational and recreational footpath, called Path through the Gorge, runs through the gorge of the Konjščak Stream and past the Čeber Waterfall. Moreover, a well known gorge is also the gorge of the Vogršček Stream.

-Hills: The Tabor Hill and the Slemca Hill are of flysch origin, however, other hills are the remains of a stone landslide and are covered with pine trees. The black pine forests were planted under Austro-Hungarian Monarchy and form a picturesque landscape, contribute to the unique microclimate and offer shelter to animals and plants from the harsh north wind Bora.

-In the vicinity is also the Vogršček Recreational Park, where a golf course is under construction.

-The slopes of the Mt. Čaven and the Mt. Kucelj are also very fascinating.

Events
Šagra of the village of Črniče (a traditional village festival in Slovenian coastal region)
Vipava Valley Wine Cellars between the St. Martin’s Day and Christmas
The Swallow Meeting
The Slovene Cultural Day (8 February)  

Natural Characteristics of the Village: the Črniče cherry, the Ravne chestnut, the Črniče chicory, the black pine tree

Local Community of Črniče
Chairman: Mrs. Bruna Kastelic
Address: Črniče 79a, 5262 Črniče, Slovenia
Mobile Phone No: ++386 41 690 866
E-mail:











iskalnik